Thursday 26 March 2009

Is anybody out there..

I was really looking forward to the tour of the jail and the cemetery, as I really quite like local history and find it fascinating. The history talk certainly did not disappoint. It was incredibly interesting – who would have believed all that happened in Northern Ireland!

Now the ‘ghost hunting’ part of the tour was a different thing. I’ll be honest and admit that when it comes to ghosts/spirits I am very sceptical to the point of not believing, however, I went with an open mind and if it meant meeting a ghost/spirit, I hoped it would be more Casper than poltergeist.

Yes it is true that in the jail I felt, saw and heard things, but I believe they could all be explained in very rational terms.

The tour was in January, which is winter, and winter is very cold, particularly in huge empty buildings that do not have central heating, double-glazing or carpets. Feeling the cold and draughts under these circumstances did not make me feel a spirit was close.

Sure, in the tunnel I saw lots of bright lights and glowing floating spots of light, but these were only in the aftermath of the dozen or so camera flashes coming from other people on the tour. I don’t think this was demonstrative of spirits being near but rather bright lights in a darkened room dazzling me.

And as for hearing spirit responses to the guides’ questions, the only responses I heard were the anxious/nervous squeals and giggles from those people who were caught up in the notion of seeing or feeling spirits, which is certainly not the knocks we could have expected.

The jail itself is a sad place; many thousands of people young and old passed through those doors and endured conditions we can only imagine. Going into a building such as this evokes many feelings, some may feel sick but I think it might be empathy, especially when taken to the room where children were beaten with cat’o’ 9 tails or killed themselves to avoid that fate. But jail, convictions and punishments, well, that’s a debate for another time, and another forum.

Go on the tour, it’s definitely worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comments as a paranormal investigator all we ask of people is to have an open mind, we are not Most Haunted (thank god) and there is not paranormal activity every time we do an investigation, there is no switch to turn it on or off. I must say that you are right in the way you did the tour, you have to look at the natural things before we call it paranormal, there are too many things you need to check to do the job right, all the best, Warren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on the tour on 26 March and really enjoyed it. The historical part of the tour was brilliant and the talk from Joe in the graveyard was outstanding, In the jail my group finished up in the tunnel where the NI paranormal team called out to spirits to come forward, at the time I didnt want to say anything incase I freaked everyone out but I could have sworn something tugged on my jeans (and it wouldnt have been anyone around me), I also saw shadows in the tunnel and heard banging noises which couldnt have been anyone as the group were all together. When we arrived into the tunnel it was absolutely freezing until we got to the far end and all of a sudden the temperature rose, was very strange. Roll on the next tour as I will definately be back. Well done Folks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended the ghost hunt tour on Thursday 26th March and definitely saw an apparition at the end of the tunnel. I am a logically minded person but there is most certainly something out there which we cannot fully understand and I have experienced paranormal happenings for almost 20 years now. I would thoroughly recommend this tour so long as you go with an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since being on the tour I have experienced more paranormal events. I recently visited a medium who told me I had the gift myself and just needed to develop it. Since the tour I have myself far more aware of spirits around me and I am looking now to develop this gift further. The comfort this has brought me is immense and I would love to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences since the tour.

    ReplyDelete